Credit/Time: 1 hour
This presentation will show how single wythe masonry can meet the current energy code with the use of COMcheck.
- Learn about the different concrete masonry units that can be used to design single wythe walls: conventional units, A and H shapes, and specialty units.
- Learn the prescriptive requirements in the current energy code for masonry walls in Zone 5.
- Learn about the industry tools available to assist designers in determining R-values and U-factors for various masonry walls.
- Using a sample project, learn how to use the COMcheck software to meet the current energy code requirements when designing a single wythe masonry wall.
- NCMA Thermal Calculator (Excel Spreadsheet)
- NCMA Thermal Catalog of Concrete Masonry Assemblies, Second Edition
- NCMA TEK 6-2C, 2013, R-Values and U-Factors of Single Wythe Concrete Masonry Walls
- NCMA TEK 6-4B, 2012, Energy Code Compliance Using COMcheck
- NCMA TEK 6-12E, 2012, Concrete Masonry in the 2012 Edition of the IECC
- NCMA TEK 6-16A, 2008, Heat Capacity Values for Concrete Masonry Walls
- From the Smart Dynamics of Masonry magazine, Vol. 1 No. 3, 2013, Meeting Energy Codes with Single Wythe Masonry
- From the Smart Dynamics of Masonry magazine, Vol. 2.4, 2015, Rebirth of Single Wythe Masonry