Date(s) - 02/20/2020
2:00 pm - 4:00 pm
6511 Centurion Drive
Lansing, MI 48917
The Michigan Masonry Coalition is presenting a series of Masonry Contractor Technical Programs. These programs are for you and your staff, to gain a deeper understanding of ASTM Standards and TMS requirements. The entire series is listed in this PDF.
Cleaning – Doug Barron
Improper cleaning techniques or improper use of cleaning products can cause severe damage to new masonry. This class will cover the basics of cleaning masonry. Case studies of several examples will be presented.
An overview of how masonry exteriors have changed since 1949, and the challenges and procedures involved in cleaning them correctly.
A comprehensive look at the tools and techniques of cleaning historic architecture. “Restoration Cleaning” categorizes types of contaminants. It compares and contrasts abrasive, water and chemical cleaning. The program concludes with 10 “must know” tips for successful restoration cleaning.
- Explain what new masonry construction cleardown is and why it’s important.
- Explain when clean-down must occur, and why.
- Name the top three causes of cleaning failure and how to avoid them.
- Explain why it’s important to test cleaning procedures before overall cleaning.
- Identify the main difference between cleaning clay and concrete masonry.
- List the seven “new” rules for new masonry construction cleardown.
- Identify 4 levels of contaminants
- Explain the 3 main methods of restoration cleaning.
- Name the 4 main types of chemical cleaners.
- List 10 tips for cleaning historic buildings.